Tips for Choosing a Contractor
Should you choose to have a professional install your hardscape project, one of your most important decisions will be the selection of your contractor. Take your time here. Remember, the finished product is only as good as the installation.
What Is a Nicolock Hardscape Pro?
Where other contractors may be qualified, Nicolock Hardscape Pro contractors go several steps further by meeting these requirements:
- Nicolock Hardscape Pro contractors are certified by the ICPI (Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute). Many have additional certifications.
- Nicolock Hardscape Pro contractors are professionals with an excellent reputation backed by years of industry experience.
- Nicolock Hardscape Pro contractors will install your project in compliance with industry and Nicolock standards.
- Nicolock Hardscape Pro contractors will provide you with a minimum three year written warranty on their work.
- Nicolock Hardscape Pro contractors have provided proof of insurance for your protection.
Questions You Should Ask
Since we want your Nicolock hardscape project to look great forever, we’re providing the following list of questions to help in your evaluation:
- How long has the contractor been in business?
- Have they installed jobs of similar scope?
- Will they provide references from prior customers?
- Do they have liability insurance and, if appropriate, Workmen’s Compensation insurance?
- If required in your state, is the contractor licensed?
- Do they have any industry certifications? Many contractors have been certified by the ICPI (Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute) & the NCMA (National Concrete Masonry Association).
- Have they attended a Nicolock sponsored training program?
- Do they do all the work or do they subcontract parts of the work? If so, who are their subcontractors?
- Do they provide design assistance? What are their capabilities?
- Who will be supervising the job during construction?
- What about my neighbor's property & work near the property line?
- Will the installation meet the requirements for setbacks?
- What permits are required for this project? Do I need a retaining wall permit? Who will get these permits?
- Will they provide a written estimate detailing:
- Only genuine Nicolock hardscape products are being used!
- Paver or wall shape, color, texture, and pattern
- Base material and thickness
- Bedding material and thickness
- Paver edge restraint
- Paver joint material
- Demolition and disposal
- Where will materials be stockpiled during construction?
- When will they start and when do they expect to finish?
- What are the payment terms?
- What type of warranty will they provide on their workmanship?
If you do your homework in selecting your contractor, your finished project will provide you with a lifetime of enjoyment.